Part-time Arabic, Farsi, Kurdish (Kurmanji/Sorani), Amharic, Chaldean, or Syriac to English Translator/Interpreter
|Job Title||Location ofAssignment||Employment Status|
|Translator /Interpreter (Temporary, Part-time)||Ankara, Turkey||Local Hire|
|Reports to||Reference number|
|Contract Staff Operations Officer & Department Supervisors||TU-16-AF-03|
The International Catholic Migration Commission (ICMC), which is a registered non-profit organization working in the areas of refugee and migration issues, is looking for interpreter on an as needed basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide language interpretation in refugee interviews, trainings, medical exams, and other settings, when necessary,
- Translate documents such as ID cards, medical/police/court reports, class material from the target language into English,
- Escort refugees within the building from the waiting area to the interview rooms or classrooms,
- Escort refugees within the building or to offsite locations for medical exams or cultural orientation training,
- Do administrative tasks such as phone calls and photocopying of refugee documents as needed.
Requirements, Qualifications and Abilities
- Must have a university degree, or be a student working towards a university degree
- Be a native speaker of either Arabic, Farsi, Kurdish (Kurmanji/Sorani), Amharic, Chaldean, or Syriac,
- Have an excellent command of English,
- Provide clear and accurate interpretation with no additions or omissions,
- Follow the instructions, manage the flow of the communication and avoid taking over the communication, as well as avoid interaction with the refugee without case manager’s permission,
- Be flexible and able to work under pressure, and for different departments that may need different competencies and vocabulary,
- Be aware and respectful of cultural differences at all times,
- Maintain a professional demeanor throughout the assignment at all times,
- Be dedicated to working in a multicultural environment,
- Process information quickly and concisely, and have excellent listening, retention and, when needed, note-taking skills to maintain a high level of accuracy,
- Be able to concentrate on and detached from the conversation at the same time, remain impartial at all times,
- Be able to explain idiomatic expressions and cultural nuances to avoid miscommunication,
- Good command of Microsoft Office is preferred,
- Experience in interpretation/translation is an asset,
- Knowledge of Turkish is an asset,
- The knowledge of appropriate vocabulary and an understanding of common NGO procedures and practices is preferred.
How to apply
- If you are interested in this vacancy, please send your up-to-date CV via email email@example.com together with a covering letter explaining why you think you would be suited to this post.
- Please include the reference number and applicant’s full name in the email subject line. Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be accepted. The closing date for receipt of applications is 22th July 2016
- Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
- We are committed to diversity and equal opportunity for applicants and employees. Applications will be treated in strict confidence.