|Department:||Syrian Refugees Program|
|Number of Recruitments||8|
|Main responsibility:||Translation between Turkish and Arabic|
|Duration:||5 months, with a possibility of extension.|
|Starting Date:||As soon as possible|
|Duties and Responsibilities|
YUVA (www.yuva.org.tr) is a non-governmental organization running various projects on adult education and lifelong learning in Turkey. The organization was founded in 2010 and takes measures for sustainable life styles, poverty reduction and democratization through adult learning and promotes participatory teaching methods.
The organization decided to support the Syrian refugees since 2013, by opening Community and Vocational Training Centers; providing adult education trainings, livelihoods and psychosocial care.
Translators are expected to be responsible of verbal and written translation between Turkish and Arabic languages. S/he will be based in İstanbul.
- Work closely with the Team Leader to ensure quality of work
- Provide consecutive interpretation during house visits between project team and beneficiaries
- Translate written documents when necessary
- Accompany beneficiaries when needed
- Do phone calls or other duties when necessary
- Report any kind of problems to the Team Leader
- Attend the relevant trainings
- Perform other tasks assigned by Team Leader
- University degree, preferably from Foreign Language Departments of universities either Turkish (for Syrians) or Arabic (for Turks)
- At least 1 year of working experience preferably in non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
- Fluency in Kurdish is a distinctive asset
- Sound knowledge of working in humanitarian context
- Basic computer skills (MS Word, Excel and etc.)
- Basic documentation skills
- Fluency in English is an asset
- Being a strong team member
- Strong communication, diplomacy and negotiation skills
- Good literacy, numeracy and record keeping skills
- Intercultural skills
- Strong desire to assist affected people
- Has a sense of human rights based and respectful approach
Interested persons should send their application consisting of the following (all in English):
- Cover letter outlining qualifications and experience relevant to the proposed task,
- Updated CV
The application should be submitted by 2nd of August, 2016 to (email@example.com). Please indicate in the subject line of your mail and in your cover letter the vacancy title as “Translator-IST”.
YUVA has no discrimination policy based on age, religion, race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, disability and such.